RESIDENTIAL STAIRCASE BUILDING STANDARDS
Rampes and Balconies St-Sauveur holds the compulsory licence from the Régie du Bâtiment (RBQ). Source: https://www.rbq.gouv.qc.ca/en.html
The RBQ licence is mandatory for any stair installer or company in charge of the stair installation.
The Régie du bâtiment du Québec provides a registry of licence holders, allowing you to verify the contractor’s RBQ number.
- Handrail height: from the stair nosing to the top of the railing 36″
- Railing height: from the floor to the top of the railing 36″
- Headroom height: 76 3/4 (1950 mm)
- Height of the stair riser: between 5 3/4″ and 8″ … the ideal height is 7 1/160 (180 mm)
- Width between the bars: maximum 4″ between the bars
- Width between wall and handrail: at least 1 1/2″
- Stair nosing: at least 1″
- Depth of a stair: at least 9 1/4″
- Stair tread: minimum depth 8 1/4″ … the ideal depth is 9 1/4″ (235 mm)
- Width of the stairway: at least 34″
- Distance between the stair stringers: maximum 47 1/4″
- Thickness of a step for an open staircase: at least 1 1/2″